Thursday, May 3, 2012

Interview with Anand Gandhi



1.      I interviewed Anand Gandhi, He studies Eastern philosophy, Hinduism, and Ethics.
2.    He is a very reliable source because he studies religion and ethics, what my topic is focused on.  
3.      I interviewed him through email and he got back to me a few days ago, he was a really nice guy and was really helpful



Dear Peter,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been slightly tied up with some work of my own but I thought I'd take the time to respond to your email. Honestly, it would be much easier to talk about these things in person so I will briefly respond and we can go into it further when you have some time to talk perhaps over the weekend or something. But for now here it is....

How did the church become so powerful in the past, and what started its decline from power? 
1. The Church became powerful because of the efforts of its early followers who really gave their all to spread the message of Christ. The Apostles did their part but even after that, certain kings used their influence to also spread Christianity. Moreover, there was a heavy use of force and as the European nations went around the world, they took the message of Christ with them everywhere. The decline really began in the medieval era as corruption began in the Church. Martin Luther and the Reformation are certainly the pinnacle of it but even before that you see people like Marsilius of Padua, John Hus and others who found problems in the way the church was expanding into worldly matters. People saw priests hoarding money, living lavishly and controlling political power and this all started to create questions. There was also the matter of science which I believe is your area of interest. As science advanced and discoveries were made, the Church found itself unable to accept and adjust to the new times. The Christian theology was too narrow and it could not make sense of the scientific knowledge. This led people to wonder if the Church was just outdated and that really hurt its image and its influence.


Why was the catholic church so quick to denounce ideas in the past?
2. From what I understand, the Church denounced those ideas because it felt that it undermined its authority. If they admitted that someone else was right, it would be like saying, "We don't know it all and we are wrong." This would take away from the idea that the Church was God's creation and it alone had all the answers. For this reason, they were quick to reject new ideas and new discoveries.

Does the church still reject new ideas and theories? And if so, why do you think that is? 
3.To be honest, I have little knowledge of the Church's current practices but I do know that over the past century they have forgiven many of the people previously labelled as "heretics" or enemies of the Church. I think this is in part to their growing acceptance of science and new ideas. That being said, the Church is still holding strong to many of its beliefs that it finds fundamental to it and I believe it will continue to do so because that is what makes the Church different and gives it its identity.

I am not sure if that is of any help to you but I would be more than happy to help you get in touch with someone who is more of an expert on Christianity if you are interested. My field of work is a bit narrower (I focus on Hinduism, Eastern Philosophy and Ethics) but I have plenty of friends who might be of help.

Good luck with your studies,
Anand

1 comment:

  1. yeahhh Peter! hey so i realized a lot about why the church became so powerful in the past and because of that, why they rejected other ideas that went against their faith. i think i realized this because of the types of questions you asked and how his responses connected to each other and made more sense. GOOOOOD job!

    ReplyDelete